Lenco Heaven
May 13, 2024, 07:19:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages:   [1] 2 next»   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Miniwatt  (Read 9136 times)
willbewill
Administrator

Audiophile Delinquent

« on: July 12, 2009, 09:38:23 AM »

This is causing a bit of a stir:

http://www.miniwatt.com.hk

Read the 6moons and tnt-audio reviews.

malcolm ("You can't shine if you don't burn" - Kevin Ayers)

colorIf what I'm hearing is colouration, then bring on the whole rainbow color
brian
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2009, 10:11:42 AM »

cool

Mono version would be even dinkier  afro
willbewill
Administrator

Audiophile Delinquent

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2009, 12:44:12 PM »

A bit too high powered for you Brian?

brian
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2009, 12:45:31 PM »

A bit too high powered for you Brian?

Phwoah! Just a bit!  shocked
daiwok

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2009, 12:48:55 PM »

Good Stuff from Hong Kong  Roll Eyes

Half this power might appeal to me  tongue

David cool

Vinyl is BLACK MAGIC
fergs1

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2009, 03:37:44 PM »

Pity they don't come in brown! grin

Life has surface noise!
SimonC

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2009, 01:02:17 AM »

I came across this one on the weekend and have forwarded it and the Virtue One amp to my mother for consideration as a relatively high bang for the buck amp.  It will go with the Fostex FE 167 recommended enclosure speakers I made for her.

My old man suggested she should wait till her birthday as they just bought a 40 inch LCD TV.

Lenco L75 on slate (Terminator Tonearm, Uwe Ebony Denon 103) - Marantz CD63 KI Sig - Monica DAC - Decware ZBox - Supratek Chenin - Decware SE84C - Mil Spec Silver coated copper teflon wire - Decware HDT speakers
jon

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2009, 01:59:15 AM »

Good Stuff from Hong Kong  Roll Eyes

Half this power might appeal to me  tongue
I'll wait for a power-amp version... Can't be bothered to short the pre-amp part...

Please let me build a system that is a bit forgiving on what I find in thrift shops for a handful of pennies and still is able to deliver the goods on good pressings.

(Syncopeter)
daiwok

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2009, 04:20:08 AM »

I'll wait for a power-amp version... Can't be bothered to short the pre-amp part...

Shorting the pre-amp part must be easy - nevertheless I have a pair of Siemens Cinema amps running EL84 in SET and also for rarity, look out for Tripletone mono amps which also run on EL84 SET, I got a pair of these for like GBP90 in the UK.

David cool

Vinyl is BLACK MAGIC
hatehifi

"fascinating times in which we are living"~grandpa

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2009, 04:15:00 PM »

I referred to the MiniWatt in my Crayon CFA-1 posting. I have not heard it but Srajan (6moons) thinks the world of it and mentions it in the same breath as he does the Dayens Ampino, which I do own. SimonC, try to audition the MiniWatt (and or Ampino) before you invest in the Virtue (though 'love that name!).

It is coincidental that the [Crayon,] Ampino and MiniWatt were reviewed and so highly praised by Srajan at the same time. IMHO it has been a really long time since I got enthusiastic about 'new' amplifier 'sound.' Yes, the ClassD has phenomenal aspects (think 47 Lab) to it but... Speaking for the Crayon and Ampino, and supposing, the MiniWatt, it is for me really sensational that "new ways of highlighting" (?) the signal to sound more realistic than I'm used to (e.g., Pass ClassA, Gryphon or Quad Class A/B, RWA or 47 Lab ClassD, Octave or Heathkit & SET tubes), is monumental.

What really gets me excited is the pricing. I love the notion of giving much more for your money than anyone would dare to even wish for - and then again adding some to boot! I think of 'value' in a seemingly more so rip-off society (excepting Lenco Heaven, mind you).

« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 04:22:55 PM by hatehifi » Logged

John
Little Feat (Mercenary Territory)  
"I've did my time in that rodeo. It's been so long and I've got nothing to show. Well I'm so plain loco,  fool that I am I'd do it all over again."
hatehifi

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2009, 06:47:23 AM »

I've a blue one on order and will report about it after I've given it a spin. If it is (as Srajan suggests) anywheres 'near' the Crayon CFA-1 sound I heard, great!

I bought mine to give 'tubes' a spin and intuitively, to match some DIY vintage chassis projects I've yet to start (but successful ePay for chassis), and especially for my Siemens Klangfilm RL 16  speakers, also en route.

Srajan says it matches also well with his (my) Zu Essence and I've also a pair of QLN G3 where it could sing. It'll be fun to sample compared to my Ampino - again, Srajan writes the MiniWatt is 'Crayon' while the Ampino is 'FirstWatt.' I understand that there are worse illnesses.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 06:50:28 AM by hatehifi » Logged

John
"I've did my time in that rodeo. It's been so long and I've got nothing to show. Well I'm so plain loco,  fool that I am I'd do it all over again."
hatehifi

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2009, 01:11:30 PM »

No pictures yet but,

PayPal sent Oct. 20, unit shipped Oct. 21, arrived today... incl. customs duty all tolled at under Euro 200.

Hooked it up with Zu Birth power chord and sourced (only one input) unbalanced output from micromega DUO.Pro DAC (doubles on output from ModWright 9100) with Gryphon Guideline II IC. Only reason for using this IC is to get it warmed up in anticipation of Atma-Sphere S-30 coming soon (between Promitheus' preamps), as, actually, it is not my favorite for signal input but is superb (especially as digital!) for upgrading internal wiring or 'bewtween' units. Anybody care to explain this?

Quick listen on my Zu Essence. Mind you, my Essence were on my Gryphon Tabu Century integrated and the micromega DAC feeds via [German Highend] balanced into the Gryphon (by 'far' best sound...) so a 1:1 comparison between both amps is already giving the unbalanced (also IC-wise) an advantage.

My first impression is 'not bad at all!' Maybe a bit 'tube-like' in the bass... And then I went to take a shower - where I realized that I may have had the Guideline II's direction wrong.  grin I did. Well now, straight out of the box (and it is cold outside) and without any tube rolling... WOW!

To be honest, I recently wrote someone that my Dayens Ampino, "...gives the Tabu a good run for the money but in the end, the Tabu finishes four lengths ahead." I am certain that the same can be said here ~ and maybe at the end of the day (week) there is only three lengths involved. But both Ampino (FirsdtWatt) and MiniWatt (Crayon CFA-1) are so darned 'good' (especially on my Essence), well, they deserve unreserved highest honers!

My Ampino is still not back from an ALPs attenuator-upgrade but already I can attest, for me, one really need not climb higher to appreciate the beauty of music.

Maybe I write something later but I assure you, it won't be less enthusiastic. The MiniWatt gets its cues 'right' - it does not 'sound' like a tube amp (but then again. my SS Gryphon doesn't sound like transistors either), or something like that... laugh

John
hatehifi

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2009, 07:01:50 PM »

Nothing new to add except it has been running all day with my Klangfilm RL 16 and hour upon hour the combination (more like the RL 16) got better and better.

Obviously the MiniWatt has lots of WAF. "That replaces that?" "No, that stays where it is until it is sold. But you're right, basically they both do the same job." Aside from the 'happy' color, the MW is less than 1/20th the stand space of my Gryphon and 1/30th the volume. And it certainly is not 20% or 30% 'worse.' By a long shot.

Thanks Srajan you called these for what they are... (grossly paraphrasing), I concur, the MiniWatt or the Ampino is elevated listening pleasure guaranteed for so few dollars - I dare not think what I have spent all these years for less than they offer and I'll meander again after some more days so,

Cheers, for now!

John
brian
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2009, 07:05:52 PM »

I do so approve  grin
Not necessarily the colour though  undecided

Do they do it in brown?  cheesy
willbewill
Administrator

Audiophile Delinquent

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2009, 07:09:14 PM »

I do so approve  grin
Not necessarily the colour though  undecided

Do they do it in brown?  cheesy

I love the colour grin

Pages:   [1] 2 next»   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: