Lenco Heaven
May 19, 2024, 05:46:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages:  «previous 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: plinth material  (Read 2289 times)
awty

« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2014, 10:27:52 AM »

Wow! Thats a lot of work. Thought mine was complicated.
Thanks for posting all that detail.
Only using 15% epoxy would make it more affordable and I guess the added advantage of using epoxy is there is no shrinkage.
Have you tried bentonite clay in the mix?

Paul
MiWi

« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2014, 11:07:52 AM »

Only using 15% epoxy would make it more affordable and I guess the added advantage of using epoxy is there is no shrinkage.

There is shrinkage with epoxy. But not that much, that it will do harm, if you don´t use to much epoxy.
15% is a common value, because it is just enough to glue all the stone-surfaces together, but not that much to leave a lot of space just filled with pure resin.
The resin will shrink, the stones (or metal-chips or whatelse you will add) not. Less epoxy means less shrinkage.
You just want to build a stiff grain skeleton.
Therefore you have to chose different sizes of chips, stones, sand. Each smaller size fills the gaps, the bigger sized parts have inbetween.

Have you tried bentonite clay in the mix?

No, I haven´t. You mean clay in a powder-like consistency ?
Adding powder-like substances usually has no advantages.
It adds no structural strength, but you need a lot more epoxy to cover all those uncountable little surfaces. If the surfaces of the powder is not covered with epoxy, you get weak points, which means cracks along the grain boundaries.
It´s quite the same as with high-strength concrete.

This is why I use quartz-sand 1-3mm, it has nearly no particles under 1mm. Common sand has much to much powder-like parts.

Michael
bibop

« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2014, 11:06:01 PM »

Interesting topic - right when i need it. Michael, what do you use for the blue mould?

Arnold, that is me.

"Musical Ecstasy can be achieved only at the expense of sanity". Dr Harvey "Gizmo" Rosenberg,

"Theres no shortcuts to the perfect sound" Farbror Barbro
MiWi

« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2014, 08:28:46 AM »

It's made from fibre reinforced plastic, just painted to make the surface smooth.
Reinforced from underneath with concret, just to stiffen the thin shell a bit to take the heavy load of the poured concrete lateron (can remember exactly, but it must have been 30-40kg I think)

Here are some shots from the proccess, the wooden positiv model, which than was formed with the fibre-plastic to get the negative mould.

http://www.miwis-bastelbu.de/Galerien/Lenco2/index.html

The mistake I made / why the concret broke was: I used a wooden placeholder for the tonearm chamber. The wood expanded from the water of the concrete and so there was a lot of pressure / tension.

Michael
Pages:  «previous 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: