Lenco Heaven
May 16, 2024, 10:50:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Alternative idler drive motor  (Read 1974 times)
chrissugar

« on: August 12, 2010, 09:20:39 AM »

Hi all Lenco lovers

I don't know if this is the apropriate place to post my question, if not please move it to the right place.

I'm not a Lenco owner and I have no intention (yet) to buy one, so probably the question is what am I doing here.
I designed and built a turntable from scratch with tangent tonearm and for a couple of month I was experimenting with belt drive and direct drive. I can drive the same platter with a Clearaudio motor plus control electronics or with a Technics direct drive motor with modified drive electronics. I managed to improve the direct drive electronics to the point that I prefer it over the belt drive.
But I'm intrigued by the whole Lenco + Garrard idler drive revival, so I would like to experiment with this method. There are some very viable technical reasons why this method can sound so good ( high torque motor direct coupled to the platter)

So my question is, if there is anyone here who experimented with different motors to drive the platter with idler wheel. I'm thinking to use some higher torque DC motor (15-20W) from MAXON or AIRPAX or some high torque Studer tape machine motor to drive the platter. I know that maybe an easy way would be to buy a Lenco turntable from e-pay and simply move the motor and idler wheel to my machine but I would like to try some modern alternatives.
Also I would be curious if anyone did some tests to compare the Lenco motor to some other modern motors. I expect a similar torque and precision motor to provide similar results.

Thank you in advance

chrissugar
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 04:57:08 PM by chrissugar » Logged

"To every problem, there's a solution that's simple, obvious and wrong."
tomatamot
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2010, 10:43:03 AM »

Chris. Splendid, I really like your arm.I`m on my way to make a comparable arm.

Clearaudio use a Maxxon ( on CA specs. build ) for their Statement + a clever ( CA house disign ) electronic motor supply.

Have a look at: http://www.teresaudio.com/verus-motor.html

Take the Lenco way and compare it to your DD drive solution.

Listen to the music!!!

Beautiful build, chapeau!
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 10:45:30 AM by tomatamot » Logged
gninnam

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2010, 10:46:56 AM »

Hi Chris - impressive build you have there cheesy

Can't help with the questions you ask, but someone will come along soon with the right answers I am sure.

It all looks to be built to battleship specs.

Name: Andy
mfrench
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2010, 02:51:52 PM »

Hi Chris,

check my sig-line and follow the Prenco T18DC link. Its a drastic driveline redesign of a mid 50's Presto, utilizing a DC motor with a precision driver, and a Lenco idler wheel.
rfgumby
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2010, 08:23:27 PM »

Way cool project Chris!

Scott

Keep a clean nose, watch the plain clothes
You don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows    -Bob Dylan
chrissugar

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2010, 11:07:21 PM »

Thank you all for the kind words

Clearaudio use a Maxxon ( on CA specs. build ) for their Statement + a clever ( CA house disign ) electronic motor supply.

Have a look at: http://www.teresaudio.com/verus-motor.html

Thank you. Yes, I know about the Clearaudio Statement and the Teres rim drive.
I'm looking for more specific information, like what motor at what RPM and what torque produce comparable or even better results to the Lenco/Garrard idler drive.
I'm lucky to have this turntable that I designed to be as universal as it can be, so I can make some relevant A/B tests between different arms and different drive methods (belt vs direct drive vs idler)
Also I want to test to drive the platter at the rim of the platter and also under the platter to evaluate which solution is better from a technical and audio point of view.

It all looks to be built to battleship specs.

It is a 64kilogram (140 pounds) monster and the air isolation is comparable to the best isolation systems. It has aproximately 1Hz resonance frequency. I can jump near the table and nothing goes into the speakers.

Hi Chris,
check my sig-line and follow the Prenco T18DC link. Its a drastic driveline redesign of a mid 50's Presto, utilizing a DC motor with a precision driver, and a Lenco idler wheel.

Thank you, I will read the whole thread.

chrissugar

"To every problem, there's a solution that's simple, obvious and wrong."
mfrench
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2010, 11:10:40 PM »

Chris,

There are two threads. One is the finished project, in Completed Projects. Thats the one that is linked in my sig-line.
The other is in Other Turntables.  That one has the truly gory details, head banging, etc.
I'll grab that link for you -> here
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 11:12:29 PM by mfrench » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: