A little progress.
Veneering the top with some Teak veneer I had laying around.
I did not have a single piece that would cover the whole top.
I used the Titebond II plus hot clothes iron method.
Two very generous coating of glue on each side. Must fully dry, it feels leathery to the touch.
Applied the hot iron over a piece of cloth so as not to burn the surface. Titebond II glue melts and adheres the two layers.
Using a new blade, cut a straight line over the overlap of the two pieces of veneer to make a new seam. Iron was the applied to glue down the seam.
Edges were trimmed, picture shows veneer wet with mineral spirits to emulate final color. I like it so no staining necessary, only a clear coat.
Next step is to cover the sides. I think this will be the most work as I need to prepare the rough Jatoba I will use for the sides. I need to figure out which joint I am going to use.
So, I listened to a bunch of records (in original plinth) with the modified light platter and a Ortofon OM-10 cartridge i have for testing. I like it a lot. Don't really know how to explain it, i never listened to a good idler turntable before. The sound is very punchy, the bass is all there. I guess it has to do with the torque available to the platter.
BTW, today i received the heavy platter and bearing. The platter is heavier that I expected. Now I am not sure if I want to mutilate the B55 and put the larger bearing on. Maybe I just try my DIY attempt with the heavy platter, I can always go back and modify the B55 if the attempt is not successful.
More to come...