Lenco Heaven
May 16, 2024, 05:52:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages:  «previous 1 ... 5 [6] 7 ... 18 next»   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sapphire Cantilever and Paratrace - the Expert Way !  (Read 36128 times)
sp10

« Reply #75 on: December 26, 2009, 03:08:07 PM »

The first time I heard the Decca was in a shop in Kensington, London back in the 1970s.  The shop was owned by Bob Yates and was called 'HiFiFoFum'.  It was a Garrot modified London. The TT was a massive Melco with aMission low mass arm.  It was playing through an early Pass amp system, a Threshold I think, into the old stacked SAE speakers which had been heavily modded..  The volume was set to very high indeed.   Then - after a short time the stylus came off from its mounting.  Although I do not like ear-bleed volume, the sound was absolutely brilliant until it fell apart.

I do not know who makes the modern Deccas but I do know that those of the 70s-80s were always a gamble.   QC was minimal and getting a good Decca was a matter of luck.  A bad one - or a badly installed one - was not only ugly in sound, but could very quickly destroy your records.  Dynamic and impressive though they were they were no match for the SPUs of the times in terms of giving sheer musical enjoyment.   I gave up using them when I realizes that they made all music tiring on the ears.   Naturally those being made today may well be adequately improved to rise above this problem.  I hope that they are because their natural strengths were great and unbeatable back in those days....the weaknesses were (just) unforgivable in the longer term.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 01:23:20 AM by sp10 » Logged

Upgrading is - usually - changing one set of problems for a new, different, set of problems!  AND tends to be costly!!!
anderss

« Reply #76 on: January 01, 2010, 12:16:39 AM »

Manufacturers of Decca London today http://www.presenceaudio.co.uk/

Anders
« Last Edit: January 01, 2010, 12:27:38 AM by anderss » Logged

Anders
Graeme

« Reply #77 on: January 01, 2010, 02:49:10 AM »

Manufacturers of Decca London today http://www.presenceaudio.co.uk/

Anders

Worlds worst website?

Lencos, valves and tannoys.
willbewill
Administrator

Audiophile Delinquent

« Reply #78 on: January 01, 2010, 11:43:59 AM »

Worlds worst website?

No the world's worst WEBPAGE laugh

malcolm ("You can't shine if you don't burn" - Kevin Ayers)

colorIf what I'm hearing is colouration, then bring on the whole rainbow color
anderss

« Reply #79 on: January 01, 2010, 01:18:30 PM »

I say nothing  undecided

But I will try to find myself an Decca London on different flelmarkets and secondhand shops I will visit this year, there should turn up a suitable object I can buy.

Anders

Anders
rfgumby
Administrator

« Reply #80 on: January 01, 2010, 06:18:53 PM »

No the world's worst WEBPAGE laugh
Wow.  I could have built that "site", and I don't build websites.  laugh

Scott

Keep a clean nose, watch the plain clothes
You don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows    -Bob Dylan
daiwok

« Reply #81 on: January 01, 2010, 06:24:09 PM »

They don't even make those carts themselves or that tonearm  undecided

David cool

Vinyl is BLACK MAGIC
GP49

« Reply #82 on: January 02, 2010, 01:02:24 AM »

Presence Audio is the marketing representative and distributor for the actual builder of the cartridges.  Since 1989 the manufacturing was done under the auspices of John Wright, the Decca engineer who took the cartridge line (but not the "Decca" name) to J. Wright Audio Services when Decca's then-owners wanted to shut down its Decca Special Products division. 

The last new model introduced under Decca was the Super Gold; the London Jubilee and London Reference were designed and introduced by John Wright, while the rest of the line continued with refinements and improvements in quality control under their new brand name, "London."

Gene
daiwok

« Reply #83 on: January 02, 2010, 01:04:40 AM »

Gene, your knowledge in this field just keeps on amazing me !!

The supplier of the stylus for these cartridges has not changed for the last 40 years, Decca London or London as they are known now.

I recently heard the London Reference, very smooth and refine - yet it still has that Decca characteristic - amazing  smiley

David cool

Vinyl is BLACK MAGIC
sp10

« Reply #84 on: January 06, 2010, 12:50:55 AM »

The last new model introduced under Decca was the Super Gold; the London Jubilee and London Reference were designed and introduced by John Wright, while the rest of the line continued with refinements and improvements in quality control under their new brand name, "London."

That is a bit of good news!

Upgrading is - usually - changing one set of problems for a new, different, set of problems!  AND tends to be costly!!!
krenzler

« Reply #85 on: March 16, 2010, 05:38:20 PM »

Just the stylus retip is GBP 65 which is very reasonable.

I just got a quote for my Ortofon Jubilee saying:

"As a guide our charge for overhauling and re-tipping the Ortofon Jublilee are GBP£285.00 providing the coils, suspension and boron cantilever are in good condition. We would not recommend changing the boron cantilever unless it was badly damaged."

So that's 285£ for only the tip? Where does the 65£ come from?

Kim
daiwok

« Reply #86 on: March 16, 2010, 05:47:12 PM »

Overhall means like a full service. You can talk to Expert Stylus and ask them to examine first - they are a honest company - What's wrong with your Jubilee ?

Just re-tip alone is GBP65 which means no need for servicing or overhalling. You can ask Expert Stylus about this.

David cool

Vinyl is BLACK MAGIC
krenzler

« Reply #87 on: March 16, 2010, 06:17:47 PM »

Overhall means like a full service. You can talk to Expert Stylus and ask them to examine first - they are a honest company - What's wrong with your Jubilee ?

Just re-tip alone is GBP65 which means no need for servicing or overhalling. You can ask Expert Stylus about this.

Thanks David. Not necessarily anything wrong with my Jubilee. I do feel the stylus looks a bit "funny" in my 45x microscope but I can't be sure. Ain't to keen on the amount of glue that has been used. I'd like a general inspection just to feel safe. On top of that I guess the Paratrace would be a upgrade on the Shibata? Cantilever is not entirely parallel in the body - Maybe something can be done about that too?

Kim
richard

« Reply #88 on: March 17, 2010, 07:23:24 AM »

"...unrivalled dynamics...the best phono cartridge I've tried. The dynamic expression was revelatory, even state-of-the-art...spine-tingling excitement...textbook reading of pace, rhythym and timing...sets an example to all."
Jubilee, Stereophile, June 1995"

And exactly which textbook definition of 'pace, rhythm and timing" would this be?

Option #2:
Define "pace."
Define "rhythm."
Define "timing."

Now, let us know how these facts/impressions can be delivered by a piece of audio equipment such as a turntable or cartridge.

Gotcha!

« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 07:27:44 AM by richard » Logged

Richard Steinfeld
Author of The Handbook for Stanton and Pickering Phonograph Cartridges and Styli.
willbewill
Administrator

Audiophile Delinquent

« Reply #89 on: March 17, 2010, 08:01:18 AM »

And exactly which textbook definition of 'pace, rhythm and timing" would this be?

Possibly this one

http://www.hificritic.com/downloads/Archive_A7.pdf

malcolm ("You can't shine if you don't burn" - Kevin Ayers)

colorIf what I'm hearing is colouration, then bring on the whole rainbow color
Pages:  «previous 1 ... 5 [6] 7 ... 18 next»   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: