Lenco Heaven
May 13, 2024, 02:34:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages:   [1] 2 ... 39 next»   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jean 's PTP Project : YODA SOLAR SLATE .  (Read 66207 times)
jloveys

« on: April 24, 2009, 01:12:28 PM »

Drrriiiing... Postman...pacquage from Amsterdam...
A new adventure calling... wonderful world of turntables... thank you Peter , nice work !!!

« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 11:32:36 AM by jloveys » Logged

JEAN ...
reinderspeter
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2009, 02:25:42 PM »

Glad to see it arrived in tact  smiley
Do you have your design completely thought out yet?

Peter

PTP Audio for Lenco based idler drive Turntables, Chipamps and Power Controllers.
rfgumby
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2009, 03:36:28 PM »

That and a hunk of something to bolt it to should make a fun project.  The PTP and a few Belgian beers and you'll have something to be proud of (or a headache).  What are you thinking of for a plinth?

Scott

Keep a clean nose, watch the plain clothes
You don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows    -Bob Dylan
daiwok

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2009, 03:53:56 PM »

I do like a bit of Witbier  grin

Do let us know how you get on with your PTP project. I have only made drawings and not much else. Rather busy at the moment, relocating from the 13th floor to the 11th floor at new home nearer to the kids new school. Looks like I am going down in the world now  sad

David cool

Vinyl is BLACK MAGIC
jloveys

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2009, 07:44:00 PM »

I followed your advice and have a nice Gueuze Mort Subite ( cherry beer ) to think of the project.
I will start with plinth design. We want 1/ Mass and dumping 2/ Cool design 3/ removable armboard.
I start with my previous project witch is a real killer : TD 124 in 7 cm thick Belgian Slate. Slate removable armboard.
That was my father's TT in 1969 and I do have a cult to it, I listen to my first Rock records with it when I was ...12 !
I am 52 now and this TT is putting my big VPI to shame !

The plinth is not oiled, will have the natural patina of age.

JEAN ...
jloveys

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2009, 10:42:55 PM »

I must clear out an important thing about plinth material.
I realy like Slate for the sound properties and the looks , besides here in Belgium it is not expensive to have professionaly cut a plinth in slate. But my dream is to make a plinth out of Ebony wood. A friend gave me a big massive slab of Madagascar Ebony , gorgeous.
My primary project is to compare 4 classic TT ( TD 124, Lenco L 75 and Garrard 301 and 401), so I must use the same plinth material, same tonearm to make fair comparisons.
I have 3 Lenco's in mint state ( two 78's SE and one 75) as donors for PTP3  . I am tempted to build two plinths: one in slate and one in Ebony with same design to see wich one I like better.
I will start with Slate, easyer to work with robot computerised cutting.

JEAN ...
jon

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2009, 10:45:51 PM »

When you have finished the Mort, have an Hansen's Oude Geuze (My personal favourite)!

Are you thinking of a single slate layer or are you going to do 2?

Everyone here seems to be happy with 1, I have yet to see a two layer... I have heard reports that mounting the armboard on the lower layer (a la slatedeck) yields good results. Not heard one personally so cannot vouch for that!

Please let me build a system that is a bit forgiving on what I find in thrift shops for a handful of pennies and still is able to deliver the goods on good pressings.

(Syncopeter)
nigel

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2009, 11:27:15 PM »

Oooh .. that Thorens looks nice! Very tasteful.

So, a Lenco and two Garrards in the same style, yes? That should be very impressive. I hope you have a strong shelf grin

Silence must be heard
Noise should be observed     (Cretu)
jloveys

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2009, 11:38:32 PM »

Two layers is more expensive than one, even thick. If you have a good support  I don't see the reason to use a double layer. One thick 7cm coupled to a Symposium Ultra platform is more than enough!
For the looks, It's a matter of taste, Brits prefer double deckers, cultural transport heritage I guess !
Jean

JEAN ...
daiwok

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2009, 01:03:18 AM »

It's a matter of taste, Brits prefer double deckers, cultural transport heritage I guess !
Jean

grin yes and they left that behind after the Handover of Hong Kong in 1997 !  :

David cool

Vinyl is BLACK MAGIC
jloveys

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2009, 07:40:01 AM »

Now the tricky part : the armboard.
I have not the finance to buy many Graham Phantoms. I do have spare SME 3009 S2 and SME 3012 S2, but again to make fair compare between the 4 TT the tonearm must be the same and very good quality. Graham is a winner. A Slate armboard is quite expensive ( half the price of the plinth) so the idea is to swap armboard with tonearm fixed on it only with 3 screws. Thorens engeneers have done a smart job with the TD 124 armboard. So I already have the slate TD 124 armboard with SME/Graham cutting holes, the trick is to use it on the PTP project, should be nice looking and easy to swap tonearm/board assembly.

JEAN ...
reinderspeter
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2009, 10:02:09 AM »

Everyone here seems to be happy with 1, I have yet to see a two layer... 

One of the biggest advantages of the ptp3 is the minimal cut out needed. As a result a substantial one layer plinth will be almost as heavy as a two layer plinth for a Thorens or a Garrard.

Peter

PTP Audio for Lenco based idler drive Turntables, Chipamps and Power Controllers.
Nic
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2009, 11:05:14 AM »

Now the tricky part : the armboard.
So I already have the slate TD 124 armboard with SME/Graham cutting holes, the trick is to use it on the PTP project, should be nice looking and easy to swap tonearm/board assembly.

How easy/cheap would it be to have a slate plinth made with a step down around where "OMA" is on peter's plinth. then slide in your 124  board there..... hope that makes some sense. grin
jloveys

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2009, 01:54:42 PM »

Yes Nic a Step down makes sence with a hole underneath the tonearm bearing. Tightly fixing the armboard with the 3 screws on the plinth. Very good indeed.
Jean

JEAN ...
rfgumby
Administrator

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2009, 04:11:47 PM »

That's quite an arm you have there Jean.  Graham Phantom b44's are not cheap.  A very good reference though for your experiment!

Scott

Keep a clean nose, watch the plain clothes
You don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows    -Bob Dylan
Pages:   [1] 2 ... 39 next»   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: