Lenco Heaven
May 23, 2024, 02:36:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages:   [1] 2 next»   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bogart - a Bogen-Presto B61  (Read 5777 times)
Alupi

« on: February 05, 2014, 01:44:45 AM »

My favourite Lenco, without a doubt, is the GL59, not only does it sound wonderful, it’s a very aesthetically balanced looking machine as well. With it’s classy font scratch plate and musical and sexy L70 tonearm.
 But the Bogen-Presto B61 is much rarer beauty, at least in the UK. Getting a whole unit from the US would be impractical and expensive shipping cost wise due to weight and the dreaded Custom duty + Excise tax + Import  VAT + Clearance fee + other tax they can think of once it reaches british soil.javascript:void(0);javascript:void(0);
 I’ve always assembled my mountain bikes from quality second hand parts purchased individually. This gave me the idea to just assemble the Bogen from parts since most parts are interchangeable if not the same, and I won’t be needing the 110v/60Hz american motor anyway. Can this be done? With a bit of luck and patience…Breakthrough came when I found the most important part for me- a top plate, yahoo!  :afro:javascript:void(0);
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 02:29:43 AM by pdic » Logged

AL
Alupi

« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2014, 01:48:55 AM »

Cleaning a red-oxide top plate. Maybe 1961?

AL
Alupi

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2014, 02:05:42 AM »

Cleaning and rewiring the L70 tonearm.

Cartridge will be a Shure M3d with Jico stylus as usual

Using my first built plinth, was on a stacked platter L75 with an RB300.

Uprated bearing cheesy

All done

AL
autobayer
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2014, 07:59:31 AM »

Great work  grin
How do you like the sound?
C
Alupi

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2014, 01:43:13 AM »

Thanks Chris, sounds very good to my ears, full and bold, even at low volume. No need to stack platters, in my opinion.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 12:19:36 PM by pdic » Logged

AL
jonahsdad

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2014, 03:26:39 AM »

Very cool to see a Bogen in England.  Looks like nice work on the tonearm, and a lovely plinth.  Congratulations!

Alupi

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2014, 10:39:02 AM »

Thanks Phil. Just hoping to get/find a metal B-P headshell to complete the look. Congratulations on your 1000th post!

AL
endrik35

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2014, 11:38:25 AM »

Very clean and nice build. Congratulations! smiley

Endrik
                                 "Primum Non Nocere"
Alupi

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2014, 12:14:48 PM »

Thanks Doc, the L75 will be wiggling its way to Silay City shortly. wink

AL
endrik35

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2014, 12:39:44 PM »

Thanks Doc, the L75 will be wiggling its way to Silay City shortly. wink

Wow! Al, I didn't know that you're a fellow countryman and an Ilongo. Almost married one from Bacolod. Her surname is Lizares wink

Endrik
                                 "Primum Non Nocere"
worcestermark

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2014, 02:49:35 PM »

Thanks Phil. Just hoping to get/find a metal B-P headshell to complete the look. Congratulations on your 1000th post!

lovely looking build congratulations. What difference is there in the headshell appearance?. I ask the question being aware that you might want to watch out for a slightly different connector on the L70 type arms. There is a post with pictures somewhere that seems to illustrate a slight difference in the pin configuration.

When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive - to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love.
 Marcus Aurelius
jonahsdad

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2014, 03:32:59 PM »

lovely looking build congratulations. What difference is there in the headshell appearance?. I ask the question being aware that you might want to watch out for a slightly different connector on the L70 type arms. There is a post with pictures somewhere that seems to illustrate a slight difference in the pin configuration.
Show-off time  cheesy

Only the red bakelite on the left has the problematic connector.  He's looking for the one with the BP logo.

worcestermark

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2014, 06:14:51 PM »

Show-off time  cheesy

Only the red bakelite on the left has the problematic connector.  He's looking for the one with the BP logo.
Headshell envy!

When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive - to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love.
 Marcus Aurelius
Alupi

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2014, 07:55:12 PM »

Thanks Mark, excellent advice. Almost forgot about it. Did notice that some headshell did not have a square shaped pin configuration and some do have male pins in them as well. I would need a headshell with female pins to mate with the male pins in the tonearm. Even with the 3 L70 tone arms I have, their metal headshells are not an easy fit if you swap them around.  angry

AL
Alupi

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2014, 08:06:56 PM »

Show-off time  cheesy

Only the red bakelite on the left has the problematic connector.  He's looking for the one with the BP logo.

Nice collection. I have not listened to a Bakelite headshell before, how does it sound compare to a metal one? I was planning to mount a metal bodied Denon 103 to a metal headshell. Would of course need modification due to the mounting nature of the cartridge, and I'm not ready to hack the headshell yet. Has anyone tried to mount a Metal bodied Denon 103 on an L70 headshell at all? Would it not be too heavy?

AL
Pages:   [1] 2 next»   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: