Lenco Heaven
May 15, 2024, 07:13:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages:   [1] 2 ... 9 next»   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: !!!Tonar: Diabolic E!!!  (Read 17511 times)
SunOfSky

« on: May 18, 2016, 04:23:51 AM »

One of our administrators gave another one of our administrators the advice that he (the other administrator) should check out the Tonar Diabolic E cartridge for his wife's reelin'-and-a-rockin'-specific turntable. The other administrator did not take the advice; I did.

Output: 8 millivolt
VTF: 4-5gr.
Color: Pink & Gold

That's right. This thing is terrifying. And since it is only $55, I had to try it.

Here's the thing. While there is something intoxicating about its sound, there is some break-up around drums and other dynamic passages.

Chris, the Autobayer, aforementioned Administrator numero uno, said that the Stickmaker uses one, but that he cut away much of the plastic and that it is -- at that nearly nude point, I'm guessing -- a surprisingly "refined rocker." I took this to mean: not so much break-up. cheesy

Has anyone else used this cartridge? And, if so, did you cut away the plastic?

Here's mine happily tracking some Davie Allen & the Arrows.

(I would take a better picture, but I don't have a proper digital camera. This was taken with my laptop's built-in camera -- hence the shitty composition and mucho grain.)

Andrew
“If they were near me I might shoot them. If I had a gun.” -David Lynch
“Politics and reality is so different now that reality doesn’t have anything to do with politics anymore.” -James Brown
Rotsch

Follow the white rabbit.....

« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2016, 06:54:22 AM »

Lil bit more datas...

Type: MM
    Fixing: Half-inch mount
    Output voltage: 8,0mV bei 1kHz, 5cm/sec.
    Amplifier-connection: Phono MM
    Frequency range: 20-24.000Hz ±4dB
    Compliance: 6 x 10 – 6 cm/dyne (100 Hz)
    Material: diamond, bonded
    Stylus type: elliptical
    Tracking force range: 4-5g
    Tracking force, recommended: 4,5g
    Weight: 5,0g

Haven't tried one, yet.... but i'm tempted !!  undecided

Roger  icon_albino

"To play a wrong note is insignificant. To play without passion is inexcusable." -Ludwig Van Beethoven
analogadikt
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2016, 08:24:53 AM »

The combination of eliptical stylus and high tracking force worries me. Is this a DJ cartridge?

Regards,

Tussenwiel

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2016, 08:50:14 AM »

The combination of eliptical stylus and high tracking force worries me. Is this a DJ cartridge?

Regards,

It is a DJ cartridge and here are the specs.
http://pickupnaalden.com/images/pdf/2987.pdf

Dirk

There are only two problems , or you have something you don't want, or you want something you don't have.
Rotsch

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2016, 02:25:00 PM »

It is a DJ cartridge and here are the specs.
http://pickupnaalden.com/images/pdf/2987.pdf

Of course it is....
but it hasn't to be bad for that reaon !?  wink
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 09:16:49 PM by Rotsch » Logged

Roger  icon_albino

"To play a wrong note is insignificant. To play without passion is inexcusable." -Ludwig Van Beethoven
analogadikt
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2016, 04:27:01 PM »

Roger,

I did not mean to say "if it is DJ it is bad", sorry if what I said came across like that. Just wanted to confirm because a modern MM with such high VTF is usually meant for DJ work. I have read quite a few posts here and elsewhere about the fine performance that can be had from these carts after few tweaks.

Regards,

SunOfSky

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2016, 04:50:34 PM »

Very DJ. Notice that the penultimate specification says, "Scratching: Suitable."

Thanks for supplying the additional info, Roger.

I listened to some Beat Happening after the Davie Allen and it really sounded superb. There is a thickness to the tone that really suits the Calvin Johnson voice and aesthetic. Also, the break-up I was hearing on the Davie Allen was absent on the Beat Happening. Strange.

The high tracking force worries me too. Picking records last night was nerve racking. I decided to play stuff that would be relatively easy to replace.

So does anyone have any advice re which parts to cut away? My fine motor skills aren't great, but I think that they're good enough for the Diabolic! evil

Andrew
“Politics and reality is so different now that reality doesn’t have anything to do with politics anymore.” -James Brown
Kvaal

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2016, 06:25:47 PM »

Appears to be a variant of Nagaoka 321 also branded as Technics epc 270c. Very good cart, but if you think the vtf is high you can try the Technics or Nagaoka needle. It tracks at 1,8 gram.

Both are sold here: http://www.pickupnaalden.com/english/turntable_needles.asp
hatehifi

"fascinating times in which we are living"~grandpa

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2016, 06:35:23 PM »

To 'nude' a stylus, simply snip away all of the plastic with a small wire cutter (the way I did it) until just the diamond and cantilever remain. I found tweezers handy for re-inserting the cantilever and don't push in further than it was with the plastic.

FWIW, I've done three nudes to date on three different carts and yes, improvement on all.

Cheers!

John
Little Feat (Mercenary Territory)  
"I've did my time in that rodeo. It's been so long and I've got nothing to show. Well I'm so plain loco,  fool that I am I'd do it all over again."
Rotsch

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2016, 09:23:04 PM »

Personaly i wouldn't bother about the VTF
Even the DL 103 is recommended with 2.5 gr !!

wink

What really disturbing me is the note...
"Scratching: Suitable." !!!!   shocked

Thank god they doesn't print: "Scratching: Required." on it.....

laugh

« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 09:28:30 PM by Rotsch » Logged

Roger  icon_albino

SunOfSky

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2016, 04:49:52 PM »

Simply snip away all of the plastic with a small wire cutter (the way I did it) until just the diamond and cantilever remain.

So you left all the plastic on the actual body -- e.g. the mounting apparatus -- but removed the plastic around the removable cantilever/stylus?

I ask because I have only nuded a dl 103, which was remarkably simple, what with Mr. Schick's video instructions. I didn't like the nuded 103 and have since gone back to a standard body 103, but nuding it was a neat little exercise. (Though I forced myself to deal with the consequence for nearly a year before purchasing a new 103.)

Many thanks,

Andrew
hatehifi

"fascinating times in which we are living"~grandpa

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2016, 06:49:10 PM »

So you left all the plastic on the actual body -- e.g. the mounting apparatus -- but removed the plastic around the removable cantilever/...

Exactly. Leave the body fully intact (unless you decide to also do a re-body, e.g. a Midas - but that is an entirely different story, experiment). You can always buy a replacement stylus to compare. But, imho, if Thomas says it 'works', well I'm in without any doubts. FWIW, Thomas suggested I use a nuded Tonar on my Xeres Tabriz tt/arm I very luckly purchased from him. As this unit mainly gets Classic duty, I went with another combination. My other tt already sports a nuded Empire EDR9 MI which 'rocks' for Pop & Jazz genres.

Cheers!

John
Little Feat (Mercenary Territory)  
"I've did my time in that rodeo. It's been so long and I've got nothing to show. Well I'm so plain loco,  fool that I am I'd do it all over again."
analogadikt
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2016, 07:01:43 PM »

Even the DL 103 is recommended with 2.5 gr !!

But that is a spherical tip. This is eliptical Roll Eyes

SunOfSky

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2016, 04:54:30 PM »

Thank you for the confirmation, John.

But, imho, if Thomas says it 'works', well I'm in without any doubts.

I guess I'm of the same opinion; I use his arm.

Now it's time to cut it up and see how it goes. Or buy a slipmat and start beat making.

Andrew
da-jack

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2016, 05:01:11 PM »

hi andrew,

maybe this helps as a reference, 'nuding' the stylus of an AT95e with a hot knife by fellow lencoist Ilkka:
http://www.lencoheaven.net/forum/index.php?topic=8995.0

best,
dan

Dan
Pages:   [1] 2 ... 9 next»   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: