Lenco Heaven
May 15, 2024, 02:41:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lenco L-?? restoration and DIY Unipivot Tonearm  (Read 2698 times)
kikko-k3

« on: March 27, 2019, 12:16:56 AM »

Hello there!!

Here is my second lenco project:

this is a Lenco i bought years ago for 'spares' for my main turntable: long story short.. my old turntable is in perfect shape, it wil probably outlive me and i forgot my 'spares' deck.
Some weeks ago it resurfaced and i decided to restore it.

The table had no tonearm nor plinth and were in bad cosmetical conditions, so i restored the motor and the usual mechanical stuff, filled the holes i didn't need on the metal base, scraped the paint off, drilled a new tonearm hole (SME style), had it painted by a professional in white, made a new plinth in mdf a(nd sorbothane on the upper layer), venered it in black (ebony?) wood, added 3 adjustable foots (super high end M8 screws) applied my own logo i use on my diy projects and installed my main tonearm (esoter track fifty a jelco 250 OEM) because it turned out really cool.

Then the upgradite begun and i decided to build a tonearm.

I decided for a design by Carlo Morsiani: that tonearm is an unipivot design with an innovative magnetic antiskate: You can regulate a different antiskate force for the outer part of the disk and for the inner part of the disk using 4 magnets (2 fixed in the pivot assembly and 2 adjustables on the tonearm rest to change the antiskate force).

Morsiani built this tonearms commercialy in the past but he seems retired at the moment (his website morsiani.it explains the theory of his arm in a simple but exaustive manner).

He also released a series of papers and plans some years ago (1995) on the italian DIY hifi magazine Costruire HIFI (you can find the project on numbers 15 17 18 20 21).

He released the project in a proto 'non commercial open source kind of gentleman's agreement' basically you can make your own tonearm, have a machine shop make one for you but you can't use his pivot design and magnetic antiskate on a commercial design.

i recently got a copy of his articles and decided to build the tonearm: the original is built with classic machining materials and tecniques i decided to adapt the project for the tools i own (3d Printer) so i redesigned the tonearm and modified some parts to adapt them for 3d printing.

Here is the 3d model and some printed parts.

Those parts are going to be my new tonearm

I followed Morsiani's project pretty faithfully but i changed some parts: i changed some parts dimensions and the materials of the counterweights (he used a custom molded lead counterweight and i don't want to deal with that so i modified the counterweight material and dimensions,

he used an armonic steel pivot made from gramophone needles installed in the pivot carrier by drilling a m3 grubscrew and attaching the needle to the grubscrew, i decided to use a sewing machine needle installed in the pivot with hot temperature to melt the plastic to create a solid fit.
For the bearing cup i used a m3 hex screw and buy thet i mean the needle will stay and rotate on the hexagonal part of the screw.

The needle i used are SCHMETZ brand (if you plan to use sewing machine needle for an unipivot use no other brands, they are the best, have the best surface finish, the best geometry and the best steel, other brands are crap), the needle point is UNIVERSAL type (the most pointy point) ( do not use leather or denim needles because they have a non symmetric point geometry) and 120 size (that size is unobtanium at the moment, i think they are no longer produced, i have a large stock of them but that's another story, by the way you can use 100 size every reputable sewing shop should have them in stock).
I also made some other minor modifications like the headshell mounting, some minor tubing variations and decided to use glue insteaad of screw for some mountings.

I am finishing printing the last parts tonight and i will assemble the tonearm in the following days.
i plan to use this thread to post some photos of the work in progress, to share ideas and to share some sound impression when i finish the build.

I also have a linear tracking tonearm in the backburner that is basically an opus cantus clone but with an innovative kind of bearing but that is for another thread.

Last thing i want to say is a big thank you to the forum: my first 'serious' machanical project outside of my job was the restoration, replinth etc of my first lenco some years ago, since that i built some electreic bikes (some really high powered), some linear motion CNC type machines, 3d printers, electrostatic headphones and a pllethora of other smaller things but what started it was my lenco i couldn' have done it without the shared knowledge of this forum, thank you people!

analogadikt
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2019, 03:49:12 AM »

Watching with interest l smiley

Regards,

Marra

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2019, 09:38:06 AM »

Likewise. Pop corn bought.

Keith
kikko-k3

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2019, 12:17:51 AM »

Hello there!

some progress on the tonearm: some good some "bad" (nothing really bothering but a small slowdown) so after the work some fun posting it here.

Here is a photo showing the needle pivot (sorry for the bad quality but that's the best i can do hope you can see it

Then the tonearm base with the upper towers that will held the tonearm in place and save the delicate wiring in case of mishandling.

Now the counterweight assembly:

You have two counterweights the big one is the one that do most of the job, the little one is for lateral balancing.
the little one is connected to his big brother via a rod and can move up or down

you move the counterweights via two "dials"
the first (from the center of the tonmearm has (well.. will have is not attached yet) a rod that keeps the small counterweight at a selected angle so you can change the position of the big one without affecting lateral balance so you can change the tracking force and need to rebalance the tonearm.

the second is to regulate the general balance: is connected to the pivot assembly but has an eccentric tube that hold the counterweights so you can move it to find the best balance.

Sadly i have to remake my weights: my weights seems to be a bit to heavy for the tonearm, i have made some test with some brass washers and found the right amount of weight so problem solved.

Then the moneyshot: the photo that shows that this tonearm start to looks like a tonearm:

I have received my litz wire today, i will wire the tonearm tomorrow and work on the weight problem.

Now the difficult part is to find the right magnets: all the shops around my town doesn't have the magnet i need, i found some online but they are distributors so i need to buy trucks of magnets...

the magnet i need are 6x20mm alnico cilinders and 8x25mm or 6x20mm and 10x30mm alnico cilinders, they are used in lathes or used for lathe work because i found them in some tools catalogues of enterprises doing that kind of tools.. if someone has an idea on how to find them in retail quantities all help is appreciated. thank you

Then i only need a suitable cart: i have around my main cart an ortofon 2m blue or an exxcel es70 that needs a new tip ( i have found some nude elliptical stylus and i will buy one) i have the deeling that tonearm could benefit from a better cart but i do not know nothing about MC carts or know of a better MM than my ortofon(or the bronze or black upgrade). if someone has a good candidate please tell me.
Thank you for watching.
Federico

analogadikt
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2019, 01:34:17 AM »

Ask fellow LHer Brumm about the lathe magnets.

Regards,

kikko-k3

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2019, 12:01:23 AM »

Ask fellow LHer Brumm about the lathe magnets.

Regards,

Thank you but today i think i found the right magnets, i will go to pick them up next week. In the meantime: a photo of the almost complete tonearm: some parts need some sanding but overall we are there.

Jonpw98

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2019, 12:42:58 AM »

Well done Frederico - impressive - hope it works and sounds good.

Jonathan
bluetomgold

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2019, 12:57:54 AM »

Nice work!

I'm Tom
hatehifi

"fascinating times in which we are living"~grandpa

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2019, 08:11:40 PM »

Thumbs up!!!  afro

Can’t wait to hear what it sounds like!

Cheers!

John
Little Feat (Mercenary Territory)  
"I've did my time in that rodeo. It's been so long and I've got nothing to show. Well I'm so plain loco,  fool that I am I'd do it all over again."
kikko-k3

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2019, 07:59:27 PM »

Sorry for the no updtates but that project is going in an unexpected direction...

Since i needed to travel to get my magnets and i needed to wait for a day i were near that shop for work reasons  and i had my hands itchy for building things i  made another tonearm: the copy of the same unipivot but in 12 inches, i also finished my tangential tonearm here is a photo of the trio:

So the magnets: i found the magnet semi_local. From a shop that sells only to business and with a minimum order of 50€. No problem i think, let's buy some magnets and some screws i will use for sure and some spares for my shop... Well i ended up buing all that things and some extras... Like a 20mm polipropilene sheet and a cylinder of aluminium 300mmx42mm...

The reason for that were perfectly rational in my mind: i have 2 tt and now 5 tonearms... That's 3 extra and i need a turntable for them... So i started the quest for building a diy tt.

Some drawing, lathing (done by a local business), cnc cutting (by me) and countless money here are some parts:

Some specs: heavyplatter (10kg) aluminium and PP.
Inverted magnetic bearing  whit IGUS plastic bushing ( the spindle is fixed in the base while the bushing (plastic bearing as they call it at igus) is installed in the platter) and two magnets keeps it afloat
4 tonearms pods

Closed loop (tachometer) dc motor controller (need to design, choose a motor and build).

The mechanics are pretty much finished, i am waiting for the magnets (i always wait for magnets... That's sad) and in the meantime i will finish the mechanical parts.. then i will need to design the motor control unit....

What started as a weekend project is becoming a beast of turntable, but the worst part is that when i finish it i will have space for another tonearm...  grin

(If the mods feels that this post needs to be moved away from this section of the forum i am ok with that)

Thanks for watching
kikko-k3

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2019, 10:28:02 AM »

Hello, here are some progress photos:

I had to scrap the original inverted bearing idea , the bearing is traditional but still magnetic.

The shaft is aluminium, the black ring is where the magnet will sit

Here is the chassis. Is made of polipropilene, 3d printed parts and brass hardware.

You can see the bearing bushing: is 3d printed and fits the spindle like a glove, us 80mm long so no advertible play. The design is based on plastic linear bearings, i had tested it before and with the right shaft and the right tolerances is perfect even for rotary movement.

Here is the turntable mocked up. Not ready yet, need the magnets but we are here.

To do:
wait and install magnets
Cut armboards
Make motor controller
Test
Enjoy
roby

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2020, 05:26:46 PM »

HI , I'm Roberto I've just sent you  a private question about Morsiani Tonearm . Sure it won't cause you any problem could you answer .
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: