Lenco Heaven
May 28, 2024, 02:06:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages:   [1] 2 next»   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Garrard 401 project  (Read 2131 times)
sph

« on: April 23, 2019, 03:58:27 AM »

I just started on my Garrard 401 plinth a few weeks ago after having left the Garrard 401 in storage for about a year after acquiring it from eBay.

Most Garrard plinths I viewed in other forums are full wood types, either solid wood or plywood. I wanted something different after having done corian/plywood plinths which turned out well for myself and my local friends.

I am not looking to using the BEST materials for this project. This time I wanted to try out a aluminum/plywood combination to see how it will turn out on the Garrard.
The aluminum sheet is 9mm thick. Plywood is 3 layers of 25mm plywood. Cutting the aluminum sheet is #@$&!

Cutting the aluminum top layer

Cutting done and testing for fit on the Garrard chassis..

It fits!

Next the plywood layers..

sien
ZZMoko

David

« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2019, 12:22:35 PM »

That looks very impressive keep the photos coming

Garrard 401 & Jelco 750L Ortofon Classic GMII E SPU, MusicMaster GE VRII,Kerr McCosh System, Squeezebox, Beresford Caiman and JBL 4425 speakers
Polix9

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2019, 12:32:44 PM »

Yes I have three lencos (L70, GL75 and G99) but really wish for a 401 to play with one day so meantime keep posting so I and other like me can live vicariously...  tongue

Paul

Waiheke Island
Auckland, NZ

L70, GL75, G99
Melody H34 amp
Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 SE phono-stage
B&W DM2A; Energy 22 Reference speakers
AudioPhill

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2019, 12:35:04 PM »

Yes, looking real good, I was thinking of trying a aluminium top and bottom with some chip wood to get a thin ptp6 plinth, will be watching this one as always fancied a 401 if it can get a cheap one.

Phill
Fergus

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2019, 12:40:40 PM »

Hi Sien

I notice there’s no bearing in your Garrard. Are you waiting on one too?

Fergus
sph

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2019, 03:20:29 PM »

I notice there’s no bearing in your Garrard. Are you waiting on one too?

Fergus

I have one bearing kept aside for this Garrard as I bought it a year ago. Right now I am testing it. It isn’t finished yet. The plywood layers will be trimmed off to the size of the aluminum top and then veneered.
The aluminum top will then be anodized. Haven’t decided on the anodised color or veneer.

Tonearm transfer... done in 15 seconds!

Testing it...

sien
sph

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2019, 03:33:14 PM »

Tested it with an aluminum bodied Audio Technica AT95E and a EAR834 clone. Doesn’t sound like a budget cartridge at all... Have been listening to this cartridge more than my Hana SL/Vertere Phono1 lately.

sien
Fergus

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2019, 04:34:06 PM »

Hi Sien

I was just making a “tongue in cheek” comment as I wait in high anticipation for your next batch of bearings.

Your project is looking great.

Regards
Fergus
Ackie

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2019, 09:39:10 PM »

Tested it with an aluminum bodied Audio Technica AT95E and a EAR834 clone. Doesn’t sound like a budget cartridge at all... Have been listening to this cartridge more than my Hana SL/Vertere Phono1 lately.

Got a midus mounted AT95E which I haven't listened too at all.  Will give it a blast soon but love my DL110 too much to be bothered changing it.
Polix9

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2019, 10:04:37 PM »

Wow - sounds sublime!

Do you have any initial impressions of how it compares with a Lenco in any shape or form?

Paul

Waiheke Island
Auckland, NZ

L70, GL75, G99
Melody H34 amp
Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 SE phono-stage
B&W DM2A; Energy 22 Reference speakers
sph

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2019, 12:09:37 AM »

Got a midus mounted AT95E which I haven't listened too at all.  Will give it a blast soon but love my DL110 too much to be bothered changing it.

I believe the Midas body will greatly improve the AT95E. Give it a try...
My version is a press fit body. No glue is needed. The mounting holes are threaded. At the moment it’s a prototype - not for sale yet.
With the EAR834 doing the amplification it sounds wonderful. I haven’t listened to the Hana SL MC cart for some time now.

sien
sph

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2019, 02:44:16 AM »

Wow - sounds sublime!
Do you have any initial impressions of how it compares with a Lenco in any shape or form?

IMO I think my fully modded Lenco with my own top plates and corian top sounds better, more refined. Other factors like the different footers and supporting platform could have affected the performance of the Garrard - it’s not on a proper support.
More tests and comparisons need to be done before I can really conclude which is better. I may get a Corian top done for the Garrard later on.

The corian top has very good damping as can be seen in the videos below. During the knocking tests, the speaker woofers didn’t even move when I knocked on the modded Lenco. On the Garrard, it moved slightly. Again, I must confess that it was on a different supporting platform. The result may be different if I swap places.

sien
jeff1225

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2020, 04:18:32 PM »

PM sent for bearing.
chas b

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2020, 07:07:45 PM »

Nice experiment with the plinth. I made my 401 plinth from slate, if you think cutting aluminium is hard...  smiley
frothy

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2020, 01:11:34 AM »

Hi Sien, have you finished up your 401 plinth, curious to see anodized aluminum top plate, really like the tone arm as well, is it one of your creations? You've been a busy man!
 cheers frothy

marcus
Pages:   [1] 2 next»   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: