Lenco Heaven
June 01, 2024, 12:02:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages:  «previous 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sumiko repair  (Read 1593 times)
needlestein

« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2020, 04:51:42 AM »

You are welcome!  And now...for my next trick!

Joseph
mike

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2020, 05:37:16 PM »

Wha?!... wait a second...

"Somebody's had too much to think." -C.B.
Mike
needlestein

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2020, 09:34:25 PM »

Yep, this one needs to be completely reattached and reconnected.  Might as well attempt a suspension replacement while I’m at it.  I’m going to hunt around for a suitable suspension candidate and—why not?  This pile didn’t cost me anything so might as well go for it.  It will be my first MC suspension change if it’s successful.

Wish me luck!

And good luck to you.  You can PM me too if you need any pointers.

Joseph
needlestein

« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2020, 04:19:36 AM »

I got it working.  This is officially my first moving coil cartridge suspension replacement as well.  Pretty stoked!

Preliminary assessment shows a crumbling suspension.  The options are to rotate the suspension 45 degrees so that new material that has not directly supported coils can be placed between the coils and the cartridge body.  But I elected to try to replace the suspension with all new material.

Close up of the crumbling suspension—at this point it may or may not affect performance.  I’ve repaired them like this and they’ve tested very well nonetheless.

Start by pulling off the front pole piece

Mark the position of the coil and the leadout wires—the leadout wires, I assume, are still in order so  I will mark each one with paint assuming it attaches to the nearest terminal and at reassembly that’s how I will solder them up for starters.

Remove the motor/suspension assembly

Remove deteriorated suspension ring

Find suitable replacement.  This one looks good—also feels right.  It’s a bit smaller diameter, but I think it will still cushion sufficiently.  Not a lot of choice here.  I’ve tried to find someone who will make them but no luck so far—have to be resourceful.

Carefully slip the new suspension into place.

Reinstall motor assembly

Find suitable wire for frame ground and solder into place—this requires a pretty large iron because the frame acts as a heat sink—the battery powered iron will not work here.  Also, you can’t hold
it in Plasticine because the Plasticine will just melt from the heat.  Oops. 

Place magnet/motor into cartridge body and cement into place

Check suspension alignment—looks pretty good.

Some of the leadouts broke off while handling—but fortunately with enough length to add to.

Tinning up loose ends as before

Wind a few turns of the ground wire on this post—just like original and solder

Continue connecting other side, test impedance with meter, replace front pole piece, install cantilever, adjust suspension tension and play test.

And finally, bench test.

Came out perfect.  Running at 1.7gVTF.  Perfect 35dB separation spec with channel balance within 1dB.  Pretty proud of this job.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2020, 06:35:02 AM by needlestein » Logged

Joseph
PhxJohn
RIP: gone but not forgotten

« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2020, 05:01:54 AM »

Joseph,

Your work is nothing short of amazing !!

John J Hazel
Rega RP1 w/RB202 tonearm, Groovetracer Reference subplatter, Groovetracer counterweight, 24 volt motor, TT-PSU, VTA spacer, 12mm glass platter, RP10 wool mat, Ortofon Quintet Blue. AR 77-XB and Garrard Lab 80 both with GE VR 1000. NAD C162, C272, Marantz PM5005. Acoustic Research 3a, 6
mike

« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2020, 05:33:47 AM »

Fantastic work Joseph! I had a closer look at the business end of my cart where the lead out wires originate. In addition to the two longer wires I could see before I can see just a tip of one wire poking out near the coils on one side and no wire on the other side, I don't think I have enough wire there to solder onto. I guess the other one busted too close to the coil, so a rewind is likely the solution. Your photos make it look huge, but having handled one myself I know how dainty that work is. I'll have to see what i can do with my scope here otherwise it will be hopeless. As is, I can barely see the wires with the scope.

"Somebody's had too much to think." -C.B.
Mike
Pages:  «previous 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: