Lenco Heaven
May 20, 2024, 03:14:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ID-ing a Pickering 3001 replacement stylus  (Read 447 times)
mimoser

« on: April 25, 2020, 06:34:00 PM »

Today I picked up a Thorens TD-105 with two TP-63 armwands and some accessories.
Included is a Pickering 3001 cart with one original and one not original stylus (no pickering logo on the grip) with golden E:

any ideas what that could be, apart from ???

many thanks in advance
Michael
needlestein

« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2020, 12:41:25 AM »

From what I understand, that could still be original.  I would have to see the insert tube better as well as the cantilever and the diamond in order to offer my best guess.  I by no means have seen every single Pickering stylus there ever was.  Just last week I came across two that I had never seen before: two D750 with a golden football signifying “elliptical.”

Otherwise, a gold block E is a very common marking on aftermarket styli whether Japanese or Swiss typically, but is even seen on South American product.  The brush is gold, which is unusual, but that could be an original paired with an aftermarket stylus, too.  There are some gold plate aftermarket brushes.  The lack of a logo is not necessarily indicative of a copy, either.  There are lots of 750E marked styli with no raised logo.  I thought these were copies too until I got one in a still sealed XV-15/750 kit.  Even when I was unsure of originality of these, the rest of the construction details matched.

Joseph
Lynnot

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2020, 07:29:08 PM »

Good evening,

is your E needle for an XV-15 or for an XEV/XSV cartridge? Moving iron or moving magnet?

I have a similar looking one which is usable, nothing special though. Sound wise like a (bonded?) after market needle with an elliptical, 0.4x0.7 mil tip (possibly even 0.3x0.7). And it is a moving iron, for a xv-15.

Best regards, Tony

the neon light of the "Open all Night" was just in time replaced by the magic appearance of a new day ....
mimoser

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2020, 08:48:42 PM »

will make some pics tomorrow, the cantilever is slimmer than a 625e and the insert is longer, more like the original 3001 stylus that came attached to the thorens 105 I everything came with …

Michael
GP49

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2020, 08:10:14 PM »

From what I understand, that could still be original.  I would have to see the insert tube better as well as the cantilever and the diamond in order to offer my best guess.  I by no means have seen every single Pickering stylus there ever was.  Just last week I came across two that I had never seen before: two D750 with a golden football signifying “elliptical.”

Take a careful look at those D750 styli.  Original Pickering ones came in two versions, one the familiar "cobra head" with a double-thickness swaged "platform" for mounting the diamond, and an earlier one where the cantilever tube is cut off hollow, and the diamond mounted only on one thickness of metal.  The same variation was found on the Stanton 681EE.   But not on the 681EEE or the XV-15/D1200.  I posted pictures of the two Stanton versions, ages ago when most of my hair wasn't grey yet.

Gene
Wout
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2020, 05:33:09 PM »

I've seen these "E" type styli before.
They were packaged as "Electron" styli and I think they were being sold from Greece on ebay.
If I'm not mistaken...

Wout
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: