Lenco Heaven
May 29, 2024, 12:37:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages:   [1] 2 ... 4 next»   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stacked Slate GL75 - this is going to take some time...  (Read 7081 times)
minniedog

« on: February 04, 2012, 07:45:31 PM »

Hello All,

Started my new Lenco project today and didn't get anywhere near as far as I hoped.

I'm attempting a slate build with a GL75 pan, birchply (or maybe a nice colourful acrylic sheet?) top layer and a slate armboard. I've got hold of a big slate flagstone, 25mm thick and am planning to stack a couple of layers of these and bolt them together. It's a "calibrated" flagstone so the thickness is consistent but I'll need to do something clever to make the two slate layers look ok once they're stacked as they are a big scruffy on the underside edges, maybe some kind of glue and slate dust? Anyone any experience of filling small slate gaps?

Anyway, I managed to smoke an angle grinder whilst cutting the first slab to size. The angle grinder, purchased on the cheap just for this project, was dead in about 1 minute. I used a multi-purpose disc which was probably a big mistake. Flames came out so I thought I'd better stop. I finished the cutting with a tungsten carbide jigsaw which was very slow but did the job. Took half an hour to cut 45cm!

So that's it for today, one slab cut. Thinking I'll chain drill the cutouts, that jigsaw was really slow going. Think I need to take a week off work to get it done!

I'm sure it'll be worth it in the end...  grin

Andy

Andy
nikolazec

I know that I don t know nothing

« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2012, 08:00:15 PM »

half an hour to cut 45cm!

I'm sure it'll be worth it in the end...  grin

Andy

Like justice, slow but efficient.
Don`t worry , at the end will be really ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,you`ll see

Nikola
ropie
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2012, 11:21:25 PM »

Good luck with that, Andy.  Careful not to crack the layers as you cut.. 
For the visuals, although it's on a different scale you might like to look at Peter Zumthor's Thermal Baths in Vals - it's made of stacked stone strata and the effect is very pleasing.

glady86

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2012, 11:35:33 PM »

Stone what stone?  love9 smileinbox love7

Travis
glady86

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2012, 11:41:40 PM »

Thats funny Andy, your flaming angel grinder. I used a cheap $30 angel grinder with no such problems but I used a diamond blade. Cut through like butter! You must do it outside though and a great idea is to use a dust mask, huge dust clouds formed when I cut my slate, they floated over to the neighbors house.  laugh
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 11:45:59 PM by glady86 » Logged

Travis
merynella

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2012, 10:21:29 AM »

if you haven't already then read this thread...
http://www.lencoheaven.net/forum/index.php?topic=152.0

My recent experience is described here...
http://www.lencoheaven.net/forum/index.php?topic=7392.0

I used an ordinary circular saw with a diamond-edged tile blade for the outside (but you're already past that) and a circular tile hole saw in a drill for the inside cutting, which was fine for a piece 3cm thick.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 10:26:05 AM by merynella » Logged

David
ian
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2012, 10:51:14 AM »

Hi Andy,
I've built a few slate plinths including a layered one and understand your problem with uneven undersides.  For Slate 3  I put a contrasting layer of aluminium between the slate and filled the odd rough edge with pigmented tile grout.

If you don't want to use aluminium you could try bevelling back the edges and then put the two slabs together with a sort of V groove between the two. It might look good to fill in the V with a contrasting coloured grout as a sort of coach line - you can get epoxy based grouts which dry hard and can be sanded back to give a neat appearance.  I've also in the past mixed epoxy with slate dust for minor imperfections although the colour is never quite the same and might not look so good.

what you hear depends on where you're sitting
minniedog

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2012, 12:54:00 PM »

Thanks for the input everyone. I think I'll take the burned out angle grinder back to the shop...

I like the idea of the v groove, I just hope I can make a straight enough cut with my clumsy bodging skills.

I'm hoping to do the cutouts with a 25mm tungsten carbide core drill bit, has anyone used one of these? Best wet or dry drilling?

No progress today as it's been snowing and everything in the UK comes to stop if there's a bit of snow.

Thanks all

Andy

Andy
merynella

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2012, 01:08:44 PM »

The TC drill bit may do it if you have soft slate - no harm in trying, but you could wear out a few, even if it works.  A tile hole bit will do it more easily - only about £5 or so.

David
minniedog

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2012, 02:58:09 PM »

Back to Toolstation for me.

If I get anywhere near the quality of the builds above I'll be very pleased indeed. They look amazing!

Andy
williamsunique

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2012, 03:30:00 PM »

For the visuals, although it's on a different scale you might like to look at Peter Zumthor's Thermal Baths in Vals - it's made of stacked stone strata and the effect is very pleasing.

Sorry my eyes donot see any stacked stone strata in this picture.
Paul
nikolazec

I know that I don t know nothing

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2012, 03:42:37 PM »

Paul.,
don`t copy this picture any more, it is not good for my heart. (because, the stone is perfect ..

Nikola
makiprov

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2012, 04:41:31 PM »

Come on Paul
it's obvious

You have a slate enveroment (PLINTH)and a BEAUTY sitting on it(LENCO CHASSIS)
To be honest a Lenco like this I would prefer to have it in my   arms...

Paul.,
don`t copy this picture any more, it is not good for my heart. (because, the stone is perfect ..

Gerasimos

I'm not like everybody else....Chocolate Watch Band
minniedog

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2012, 07:33:53 PM »

OK, I've cut the second slab using a decent angle grinder and diamond tile cutting disc. Much easier than the jigsaw but those angle grinders are TERRIFYING to a DIY bodger like me.

I've stacked the slabs and bolted them together for marking up, drilling and cutting.

You can see now that I've got some work to do to tidy up the gap between the slabs especially at the corners. I've also got a small split along the plane of one of the slabs.

I've got some thinking to do...

Andy

Andy
autobayer
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2012, 09:43:03 PM »

Piero, Piero  smiley
I have been there and it is so amazing - I have never ever in my adult life been so relaxed. 3 or 4 days of wellness, eating, sleeping and some football on TV  wink

Pages:   [1] 2 ... 4 next»   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: