Lenco Heaven
May 14, 2024, 10:02:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages:   [1] 2 next»   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help needed with motor coils - BSR Turntable  (Read 1087 times)
projektori

« on: December 10, 2016, 01:01:21 AM »

I'm not sure if this is a right place for this, sorry if not.

Recently I bought a 50's BSR turntable. I opened its motor for service and found this:

These look pretty bad to my eyes (the motor is working correctly though). The plastic side panels have cracks and they look like they have melted partly. The lower coil in the second picture is particularly worrisome. I'm asking for advice and opinions: would it be safe to leave the coils there or should I somehow get new coils? I have no idea how though.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2016, 01:04:45 AM by Chris65 » Logged

Tuomas
Chris65
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2016, 01:06:03 AM »

Amended your thread title Tuomas, so it's a little more accurate. wink

Chris

"The Blues is the roots, everything else is the fruits" - Willie Dixon
projektori

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2016, 01:18:45 AM »

Thanks! I noticed it but thought that I had done it myself... been servicing that thing the whole day and starting to be a bit tired  laugh

Tuomas
GP49

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2016, 04:15:25 AM »

You'll never get new coils.  They were never available as replacement parts anyway, even when BSR was still alive, which was long ago.  The closest you would get is a replacement motor off a junked BSR of similar model.

If the motor runs, can you measure its current draw?  Also see how hot it gets...induction motors get quite warm, and it will probably get uncomfortably warm to the touch but what you should be watching for is any bad "burned' smells.  It is possible that like some other BSR plastic parts, those in your motor have warped from age, not excessive heat.

Gene
projektori

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2016, 04:40:06 AM »

I was thinking of recoiling service. But let's see about that. If the motor doesn't run too hot (I don't think it does), do you think that the state of the coils might make them dangerous otherwise? I just serviced another BSR of similar age (and then throw it to bin... crappiest thing I have ever seen). Its coils were totally intact even though the player had gone through some abuse otherwise. Pity the motor was much smaller.

I googled a bit... the motor actually seems more like a Collaro motor to me. There was one almost identical for sale, only in the US... This machine is apparently a BSR-batched collaro or maybe some kind of a mix up.

Tuomas
Rabbit

my real name is Martin

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2016, 11:51:56 AM »

Is this the motor you have?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/222339362650

Unfortunately the Dansette and Pye Black Box are now highly collectable and the prices are high.
projektori

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2016, 01:30:02 PM »

Exactly the same. International postage hasn't been specified and the seller has disabled queries though :/
Interestingly that motor does not turn up in a search even with search text identical to the item's name.

I would still go with my existing one, if it's just safe to use (?)

Tuomas
OsteSpiser

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2016, 03:52:31 PM »

Can you beg/steal/borrow access to a "megger" (insulation tester).

It's a device that shoot peaks of 10x(mains voltage) through your device, then shows the resistance to GND.

This is used as a test device for domestic and industrial mains installations - your friendly local electrician
would have one.

It could tell you to some degree if the insulation of the coils is compromised.

-kristian

P.S. I'd ground the top plate - this really helps when used with a ground fault interruptor!
analogadikt
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2016, 04:18:40 PM »

Check DCR of both coils. If the readings are closely matched then the windings are ok but you have to repair the warped reels. If you can pull out the coils then it may be possible to cut out the warped sidewalls and glue something new there.

Is the motor identical to the one in post#24 here?
http://www.lencoheaven.net/forum/index.php?topic=23684.15

If yes, I shall open it and check the coils. If they are in good shape and if you are interested I shall find out the postage cost and get back to  you.

Regards,

projektori

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2016, 04:59:37 PM »

I've asked advice from local electrician's shops, but haven't heard back yet (weekend). I think my dad might have a equipment to check the coils. Gonna call him.

Yes, grounding of the top plate is essential, I think so too!

Is the motor identical to the one in post#24 here?
http://www.lencoheaven.net/forum/index.php?topic=23684.15

If yes, I shall open it and check the coils. If they are in good shape and if you are interested I shall find out the postage cost and get back to  you.

Regards,

It is similar. In fact, it's exactly the same one as in post 19 (as that is the TT I bought).

If you could check your motor, that would be great

Tuomas
projektori

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2016, 05:41:00 PM »

My dad has an ohm meter. I don't know if that'll be sufficient. Electricity keeps puzzling me.

Tuomas
GP49

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2016, 01:34:56 AM »

A standard ohmmeter won't do.  It tests at low voltage.  You need to test it at high voltage.

I did not actually follow through but was able to open the query-to-seller page without difficulty.

Gene
projektori

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2016, 02:51:38 AM »

A standard ohmmeter won't do.  It tests at low voltage.  You need to test it at high voltage.

I did not actually follow through but was able to open the query-to-seller page without difficulty.

Okay, I get it now. Kristian did explain it but it kinda passed through my brain without ringing too many bells..

When you go to the final part of the query process and select "contact seller", a note appears that says that the seller is unable to respond to your question.

I just reassembled the motor (oh those pressed bearing chambers without screws... how I hate you), gonna keep it running for a while to check temperature.

Okay, I think that I have now all the info I need... I'm now waiting response from the electric shops, maybe they could do the testing at least...

Thank you very much for help, everyone!

Tuomas
analogadikt
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2016, 10:54:09 AM »

Mine are even worse, not surprising considering the climate here.  I shall have these rewound. As a side note, it seems that the Garrard SL60 lab balanced motor has identical size stator frame.

Regards

projektori

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2016, 12:24:23 PM »

So it seems... I hope you can get it working!

Tuomas
Pages:   [1] 2 next»   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: